Carna4 Grain-free Duck is whole food nutrition for all life stages of your dog. Our Canadian-made pet food starts with fresh duck (we use the muscle and flesh, no by-products) from humanely-raised ducks on Quebec and Ontario farms. No meat or vegetable meals, ever. We then add pork liver, whole eggs, clean, de-boned herring, whole produce, our certified organic sprouted seeds and nutrient-rich kelp We then quick-bake & gently dry it to give your dog highly digestible vitamins and minerals, without grain or synthetic additives of any kind. No vitamin pre-mix needed, ever.
Our natural ingredients, particularly our fresh duck, liver, eggs and certified organic sprouted seeds, provide your dog a clean, complete diet that is every-day-easy. Our sprouted seed mix offers a wealth of super-nutrients, including high levels of naturally occurring antioxidants and Omega-3 fatty acids. By using these seeds in a sprouted state, we boost our food’s bio-available amino acids, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, probiotics, Omega-3s and antioxidants to levels far exceeding AAFCO standards. And thanks to our sprouted seeds, Carna4 is LOW GLYCEMIC and LOW GLUTEN – ideal for sensitive dogs. We use only 100% true food and you can easily pronounce the name of every ingredient in Carna4 because all are grown only on Canadian and American farms – not overseas factories.
We have made several improvements to our original Duck formula in our continual quest to produce the best grain free dog food possible. In 2016 we:
- Added more duck to raise protein from 27% to 29%.
- Replaced salmon with herring as #5 ingredient.
- Replaced potato with ground fava beans as #6 ingredient.
- Replaced whole peas with organic sprouted peas.
- Removed rosemary as last ingredient.
- Every Batch is Tested for 15 Different Pathogens and Toxins
- 100% Real Food Nutrition
- NO SYNTHETIC INGREDIENTS
- Added Ground Organic Sprouted Seeds
- Quick Baked Air Dried Whole Food Nuggets
- Raw Food Alternative
- Made in the Canada
In particular, the addition of fava beans is an innovative alternative to potatoes or dried peas in creating our state-of-the-art grain-free diet. Once cooked (at least to the extent as our quick-bake Carna4 process), fava beans become a highly digestible, safe and nutritious source of minerals, especially magnesium, potassium, folate and zinc; vitamins including niacin (B3), thiamin (B1), A ,C, K and beta carotene.
Ingredient List – Grain-free Duck Formula:
Duck, pork liver, eggs, ground organic sprouted barley seed, herring, ground fava beans, sweet potato, ground organic sprouted flaxseed, ground organic sprouted lentils, ground organic sprouted peas, potato starch, apples, carrots, sea salt, kelp.
- Eggs – As a perfect complement to our fresh table-grade chicken and its iron-rich liver, eggs serve up plentiful protein with essential amino acids needed for growth and muscle development, plus naturally occurring vitamin E and 14 key nutrients.
- Herring – An excellent source of protein, calcium, Omega-3s and vitamin D for helping to maintain strong bones with a shiny skin and coat, warding against inflammatory conditions like arthritis and combating infection. Herring is also high in DHA and EPA.
- Organic Sprouted Barley Seed, Flaxseed, Lentils and Peas – Our Flora4 blend of some of the best natural sources of vitamins, minerals, probiotics and enzymes that supply optimum, bio-available nutrition for dogs of any age, size or breed.
- Fava Beans – are loaded with minerals, especially magnesium, potassium, folate and zinc; vitamins including niacin (B3), thiamin (B1), A ,C, K and beta carotene. They are low calorie and have no saturated fat but plenty of fatty acids. When cooked, Fava beans are a nutrition power-house.
- Whole Sweet Potatoes & Carrots – Rooted with natural sources of antioxidants, beta carotene (vitamin A), B vitamins and various minerals, including iron and niacin, these garden vegetables add essential nourishment to your dog’s diet.
- Whole Apples – This scrumptious fruit adds vitamins and disease-fighting antioxidants, while its pectin provides soluble fiber to keep your dog ‘regular’ and help reduce colon cancer risks.
- Kelp – This nutritious plant provides amino acids, vitamins and naturally occurring trace minerals, including iodine and potassium, as well as other essential micronutrients.
We test every batch of Carna4 for 15 different pathogens and toxins. Nothing leaves our bakery until it is checked thoroughly for safety.
Carna4 All Life Stages Grain-free Duck….
Carna4 Hand Crafted Dog Food is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for all life stages – but offers much more. In fact, our nutrient content exceeds AAFCO requirements in all cases. You can see for yourself in the following table:
THE DATA IN THIS TABLE REPRESENTS OUR MOST RECENT TEST RESULTS OF OUR FOOD. THERE MAY BE SMALL VARIANCES COMPARED TO THE INFORMATION ON THE PRINTED BAGS YOU PURCHASE AS WE CONTINUALLY MAKE IMPROVEMENTS TO THE QUALITY OF OUR INGREDIENTS.
|NUTRIENT||Carna4 Duck (min. per kg – as fed)||Carna4 Chicken (min. per kg – as fed)||Carna4 Fish (min. per kg – as fed)||AAFCO Growth (min. per kg – as fed)||AAFCO Adult (min.per kg – as fed)|
|Crude Fiber||4% (max)||4% (max)||4% (max)||n/a||n/a|
|Moisture||10% (max)||10% (max)||10% (max)||n/a||n/a|
Why Sprouted Seeds?
Our Sprouted Seeds – A Superfood
Flax, lentils and other seeds & legumes are packed with nutrients and potential energy – enough to grow into a tall plant. Each seed is the powerhouse behind a plant’s growth and development, but nature locks in the nutrients with a protective coating designed to keep them intact until the seed is germinated and becomes ready to grow and mature. This allows only a fraction of the nutrients in ungerminated seeds to be digested and absorbed by your body. But sprouting can change all that!
Sprouted seeds have been “awakened” and are beginning the physical transformation from their dormant seed state to living, breathing plants. In the first 24 hours of germination, the nutrients in the sprouted seeds can multiply by an average of 14 times; antioxidants can multiply by 10,000 times; and enzymes & probiotics flourish by the millions & billions. Sprouting also lowers gluten and glycemic levels and transforms carbohydrates into highly digestible phytonutrient components.
Carna4’s unique recipe uses freshly sprouted USDA Organic Certified lentil seeds, barley seeds and flaxseeds. Sprouting (or germinating) the seed unlocks nature’s protective coating — boosting the bio-available nutrients in our food to unheard of levels.
Germination activates “sleeping” enzymes, bringing the seeds to life with increased vitamins, minerals and other nutrients, while neutralizing anti-nutrients, such
as phytic acid, which will otherwise hinder nutrient absorption.
So exactly what happens and how does it help your pet?
- Sprouting defuses anti-nutrients, such as phytic acid, which will otherwise stop your pet from absorbing sufficient nutrition. Phytic acid is a plant fiber molecule that bonds with minerals (like iron, zinc, magnesium and calcium) in the digestive tract so they pass through the body with undigested or unsprouted seeds, robbing your pet of vital nutrients. These inhibitors can only be decreased through germination — not by milling or grinding.
- Sprouting makes seeds and legumes more nourishing by boosting available vitamins, minerals, amino acids and other nutrients.
- Sprouting activates sleeping enzymes, and increases their activity by up to 6 times, transforming complex carbohydrates and proteins into simpler forms to make nutrients more digestible and easier to absorb.
Simply put, sprouting live seeds….
But that’s only the beginning. Here are 8 more things sprouted seeds can do for your pet:
- Increase antioxidants by up to 9,600% to help your pet tackle cancer-causing free radicals – When seeds sprout, there is a significant increase in vitamins, especially natural antioxidants like Vitamin C and E, particularly with flaxseed. These antioxidants fight free radicals and also help preserve food by protecting polyunsaturated fats from oxidation.
- Sprouted flaxseeds in particular have very high levels of Omega-3 fatty acids, which have been shown to reduce the effects of arthritis and offer other health benefits to dogs – The Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association published a series of studies in early 2010, on the proven benefits of food with high concentrations of Omega-3 fatty acids for dogs with osteoarthritis.
- Prevent stomach upset and reduce intestinal gas – Sprouting activates plant enzymes to supplement pancreatic enzymes produced by the body. This can alleviate stress on the pancreas, reduce intestinal gas and improve overall digestive function over time.
- Encourage probiotics or “good bacteria” growth to help keep your pet’s digestive tract clean and healthy – Sprouted seeds, especially flaxseed, are excellent sources of strong, naturally-occurring probiotics. Our laboratory testing has shown that these natural probiotics have a very high survival rate through our short-cycle baking/drying process, because they stay in the nurturing comfort of their native host.
- Increase soluble fiber, while reducing insoluble fiber to help toxins leave your pet’s body more efficiently – Sprouting reduces insoluble fiber by as much as 50% and increases in the ratio of soluble to insoluble fiber by as much as 30%. When soluble fiber flows through the arteries, it starts binding with cholesterol and other toxins to help clean the body.
- Provide less carbohydrates and “empty” calories – to maintain optimal condition.
- Lower gluten and have lower glycemic levels — making them ideal for pets with blood sugar issues and diabetes – Sprouted seeds have lower glycemic levels because portions of their carbohydrates are used up in the germination process. Recent scientific studies performed by Mortec Labs indicate that Carna4 is a low-glycemic food.
- Deactivate aflotoxins, which are cancer-causing toxins produced by fungus in grains — to avoid disease.
We’re just beginning to discover the modern-day benefits of this ancient food that traces back to the days when we ate our seeds partially germinated after they’d stood in open fields, just waiting for rain.
Recommended Daily Feeding Guide
Ideal daily feeding portions will vary for different dogs, depending on age, size, breed, environment and activity levels. Because Carna4 is so concentrated in high quality nutrients that are easily absorbed by your dog, you will need to feed 10% to 15% fewer cups per day than most other dry foods. The amounts shown below are guidelines only and you should carefully monitor your dog’s weight, until an ideal balance is found.
|8 fl. oz. Cups per Day|
6 to 12
or Senior Dog
|10||1 7/8||1 1/4||5/8||7/8||1/2|
|15||2 1/2||1 3/4||7/8||1 1/8||3/4|
|20||3 1/8||2 1/2||1 1/4||1 1/2||7/8|
|30||3 3/4||3||1 1/2||2 1/8||1 1/4|
|40||4 3/8||3 1/2||1 7/8||2 1/2||1 5/8|
|50||5 1/2||4 3/8||2 1/4||2 3/4||2|
You may choose to add water to soften Carna4 Easy-Chew for puppies and older dogs with biting difficulties. Add ¼ cup water to one cup of Carna4 and let stand for a minute to create softer nuggets.
Transitioning to Carna4: It will take several days for your dog to adjust to the richer nutrients in Carna4. Start by mixing one part Carna4 to four parts of your dog’s old food. Gradually increase the proportion of Carna4 over 7-10 days until you are feeding all Carna4. Remember that you will feed slightly fewer cups of Carna4 than other dry foods.
Your dog may have larger stools in the early part of his or her transition period as the better quality fiber in Carna4 helps to clean out the colon. This is a normal and healthy effect and you will see the stools return to a normal size later in the transition. When transitioning to Carna4 from another diet, try sprinkling in some Flora4 ground sprouted seeds food topper to help aid digestion and normalize stools faster.
Feeding Your Puppy: Feed small quantities in 3 or 4 feedings at the same times each day, reducing to twice per day after 6 months. Divide the total cups per day from the chart above by the number of feedings to determine how much to set out each time. After 20 minutes, remove any food remaining in the puppy’s bowl.
Pregnant or Nursing Dogs: Add up to 50% more food per day for pregnant dogs after the first 6 weeks. When nursing, the mother should be allowed to free feed throughout the day. She may eat 2 or 3 times as much as a normal adult during this time
Calorie Content: ME as fed Calculated – Easy-Chew Fish Formula: 4,350 kcal/kg or 402 kcal/8 fl. oz. cup
- Provide your dog with plenty of fresh, clean drinking water at all times.
- Bring your dog to the veterinarian regularly.
- Give your dog play and exercise every day.
We are sure your puppy or dog will love the fresh taste of Carna4 and you’ll love the peace of mind that comes with feeding your pet the safest, most nourishing complete pet food available. If you are not completely satisfied for any reason, please return the remainder of your package to your pet specialty retailer for a full refund