Rawhide: The Most Dangerous Chew for Dogs!

There is a reason we do not sell, recommend or condone feeding Rawhide Chews. It's shocking that stores continue to carry them (as pictured) when they are literally one of the most dangerous chews for dogs! 

Rawhide is not the by-product of the beef industry nor is it made of dehydrated meat. Rather, rawhide is the by-product of the “Leather Industry”. 

Normally, hides are shipped from slaughterhouses to tanneries for processing. These hides are then treated with a chemical bath to help “preserve” the product during transport to help prevent spoilage.

Once at the tannery: the hides are soaked and treated with either an ash-lye solution or a highly toxic recipe of sodium sulphide liming. This process will help strip the hair and fat that maybe attached to the hides themselves.

Next, these hides are treated with chemicals that help “puff” the hide, making it easier to split into layers. The outer layer of the hide is used for goods like car seats, clothing, shoes, purses, etc. But, it’s the inner layer that is needed to make the rawhide.

Now that we have the inner layer of the hide, it’s time to go to the post-tannery stage! Hides are washed and whitened using a solution of hydrogen peroxide and/or bleach; this will also help remove the smell of the rotten or putrid leather.

To make these whitened sheets of this “leathery by-product” look appealing, they are basted, smoked, and decoratively tinted which could be any color (or odor) underneath the coating of (often artificial) dyes and flavors. They can even be painted with a coating of titanium oxide to make them appear white and pretty on the store shelves.

In order to make it last forever, Lead, Arsenic, Mercury, Chromium salts, Formaldehyde and other toxic chemicals are used. 

Finally, it’s time to package and attach all the glorious marketing labels to the product. Check out the fine print warning that’s attached with some of these rawhides:

Choking or blockages. If your dog swallows large pieces of rawhide, the rawhide can get stuck in the esophagus or other parts of the digestive tract. Sometimes, abdominal surgery is needed to remove them from the stomach or intestines. If it isn’t resolved, a blockage can lead to death.

Rawhide is not a suitable chew for our loving animal companions. EVER!

We are urging all of our progressive pet parents to NOT buy Rawhide for any dog in your life! If a friend unknowingly purchases Rawhide for your pet as a Christmas present, thank them for their kindness and throw it away! For the safety of your pet, the best place for Rawhide is in the trash! 

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published